Thursday, August 22, 2024

Peach Pie

Pie cooling on the countertop. 
 Growing up, my mom would always make a couple of her famous Reserve Grand Champion peach pies this time of the year. She would and still only uses Red Haven peaches from Michigan as that is what she swears by. Admittedly, it took me far, far too long to appreciate just how delightful her peach pie actually is! My dad was quite upset the day I made this discovery!

I've moved a long way from Michigan and don't have access to fresh Red Havens bought at the farmer's market. Instead, now a-days, I get my peaches from Costco and whip up some fresh peach pie for myself and the rest of my family. I do have to share, and my waistline appreciates this even if my tastebuds do not. 

As a teen, I would help my mother make the pie. I was always placed in charge of peeling and slicing the peaches. My mom hated to do it, and as an adult, I've begun to inherit this from her. As I was peeling and slicing, my mom would whip up the dough for the crust. She made it look so easy! Boy was I surprised at just how sticky and messy it can be when I went to make my very own pie in my brand new apartment. I was sweating and swearing and wondering how my mother made it look like such a walk in the park! With no rolling pin in sight, my boyfriend, now husband, suggested I use a liquor bottle sitting in our makeshift bar. It was the perfect solution and worked like a charm. 

Many years later, I have not necessarily perfected the art of making pie crust but, at least, gotten to the hang of it and swear words are no longer required! Oh. . . and. . . with the help of an estate sale, liquor bottles are not longer required to roll out the crust. I am the proud owner of a rolling pin. 

Peach Pie: 

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Chill Time: 30 minutes

Bake Time: 50-55 minutes

Ingredients

Crust:

-2 cups flour

-1 tsp salt

-2/3 cup of lard

5-7 Tbsp of ice water

Filling:

-4 cups sliced peaches (3-4 whole peaches)

-7/8 cup sugar

-4 Tbsp flour

-1/2 tsp cinnamon

- 2 Tbsp butter

Instructions

Crust

1. Preheat oven to 375. Place ice & water in a bowl and set to the side. 

2. Sift together flour and salt for the crust. 

3. Add in lard. Use a fork to mix in with flour. 

4. Begin adding ice water & using fork to mix together. After the 5th Tbsp, you will want to begin mixing with your hands. Add last 2Tbsp of water slowly as you may not need all of it. 

5. Divide dough into two balls and place in the fridge for 30 minutes. 

Filling

While the crust is chilling, do the following: 

1. Peel and slice peaches. 

2. Mix in next 3 ingredients and stir well. 

3. Set aside

Assembly

1. Lightly dust flour on the cutting board and rolling pin. 

Step 4 in assembly.
2. Roll out bottom dough crust. It does not have to be perfectly round. Mine never is. Do make sure crust drapes over pie pan. 

3. Add filling and distribute evenly. 

4. Thinly slice butter and place around the top of the filling. 

5. Roll out top dough crust & place over filling. 

6. Starting with the bottom crust, roll the crust to seal it. 

7. Use finger to pinch edges together. I'm right handed, so I use my left pointer and thumb to pinch the dough, and insert my right index finger between the left fingers to create the ridges. 

8. Cut slits in the pie dough. 

9. Cover crust edge (tinfoil works great) and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover edges and continue baking for an additional 25-30 minutes or until crust is golden. 


**A few years ago, my mom gave me these silicone crust covers to use on my pies. Before these beauties came into my life, I would use thin strip of tin foil and try to get it from the countertop to the oven without it falling off. 





No comments:

Post a Comment