Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Bagan Part 1

A view from the top of a temple. 
Oh Bagan. . . Where to even begin?!? First, it's quite possibly, the coolest place I've ever been and maybe ever will go! Second, the climate is drastically different than anywhere else I’ve been in SE Asia. It is a very hot, arid desert-like place, and even has cacti! Danna and I have taken to siesta-ing during the afternoons. We get up for sunrise and then nap and hide from the blistering sun during the middle of the day. Third, I have literally spent the last three days moseying from one temple to another, walking around barefoot and staring in awe of the architecture. Most of these temples are close to 1,000 years old! There are a number of them that you can climb up to the upper tiers. These are by far my favourite as you get some spectacular views and are able to see hundreds of other pagodas and stupas.

Now, like me you may have been wondering, what's the difference between a pagoda, stupa and temple? Well, I've finally just learnt this myself and can now be more accurate in my posts! A stupa is a solid structure that can not be entered or climbed. A pagoda is a solid structure that can be climbed. Last but not least, a temple is a structure that can be entered and climbed (depending upon the temple).

To get around, you either rent a horse cart, bicycle or e-bike. Thus far, Danna and I have rented bikes and e-bikes. Both of which are fun in their own way. The three main sections of temples are quite close together and makes for an easy jaunt from one area to another. Our first afternoon, we picked three big pagodas to visit before dark and never made it to any of them. We got so distracted by everything else along the way, that we really didn't even come close to our 'real' destinations.

One of the many humongous Buddha statues. 
Every single temple contains at least one Buddha statue. Some of them are absolutely humongous! In the photo to the left, I could fit 7 fingers on one of the Buddha's fingernails! I cannot figure out how they got the statues into the building. A lot of them are larger than the doorways, which has led Danna and I to question whether they built the temple around the statue. Alas, I may never know as the locals cannot figure out what I am trying to ask.

Almost all temples also contain paintings and murals on the wall. UNESCO has come through a few of them and cleaned the remaining plaster so that visitors can have a look at what the would have looked like close to 1,000 years ago. A lot of them tell Buddha's life story. It is only because of the climate that they have survived as well as they have. There are even some original statues.

I absolutely love Bagan and am enjoying my time here immensely.  If it were possible, I think I'd move here!



No comments:

Post a Comment